Sunday, April 1, 2012

Country Living


CLUCK, CLUCK, CLUCK and CHIRP, CHIRP, CHIRP!!!

It was another beautiful day here on the Shawhan farm. The new chicken roost got moved into The Fortress and a couple cluckies observed the Sabbath and took a day off of laying since we got 8 eggs yesterday and 6 today. Still, we can't complain.

Speaking of Sundays.... I would LOVE to get down and serious about Sundays and not work. I mean, even the Amish take a day off. However, I don't have 7 kids around to help out and when Dan gets a day off, it's hard not to get the stuff done around the house that I need him for. OR if you see it's going to rain that week and you need to get your outside stuff done, you need to do it when you can if it's dry. (Hence farming, gardening, etc...A.K.A. country living).

I've been thinking about this a lot lately. I guess it started on Thursday driving around the country with dad and enjoying its beauty. He made the comment: "People who live in the city don't get to see this." That statement came to mind this morning on my way into church. I thought about it yesterday in Kroger's buying those store-bought eggs to color for Easter. I opened the egg carton and wrinkled my nose. Is there anything wrong with store-bought eggs? No, not at all. Sure they may not taste as good, their yolks don't have that golden color that embellish any baking recipe you use them in and they may not be AS GOOD for you as farm fresh.  Maybe it was that I didn't feel any pride in buying them like I do when I collect my own and use my own...when I pass mine out to people and see how excited and grateful they are to receive them.

I can't speak for everyone, but I take pride in doing the things I do. I take pride in the dirt under my nails from planting and weeding my garden; I take pride in harnessing my horses and plowing the ground that a tractor could have done for me. I'm proud of my chickens and myself for for each and every egg that I get because I've taken care of those birds since they were a week old. Same thing with a bean sprout that pokes through the ground. I take pride in growing and raising my own food even when Kroger's is easier. I take pride in being so tired by 9 and 10 o'clock at night that I'm asleep before I even get to finish my prayers....

A lot of people probably think I'm insane, and maybe I am. But at least I'm proud of myself... of what I can do, what I stand for and what I represent.

                                                                              ...cluck... cluck... chirp... chirp...

No comments:

Post a Comment