Thursday, February 7, 2013

A Few Chickie Facts


CLUCK, CLUCK, CLUCK!!!

I have been in a huge creative lull this year and I feel really bad about it. Some nights I struggle with what to write about. It has been harder recently since the chickens have been locked up for awhile now and the flock hasn't had the opportunity to get into any trouble.

I did find out this evening that another chicken owner keeps his chickens locked in all the time as well except for when he's at home/outside.

Since I've been struggling creatively, I REALLY grasped at straws for tonight's post...like really went there. I Googled "chickens" and the topic of interesting facts came up. So did PETA's website. I don't think I have to clarify my views on what PETA stands for and "animal rights". If anyone has read this blog for any period of time, then you already know. But I figured reading some of their information and viewpoints would give me ideas on what to write about...LOL.

They had "10 Surprising Facts About Chickens"...but Spoiler Alert! some of the "facts" are not surprising at all.

(Cue my sarcasm here:)

1.) A chicken can distinguish at least 100 different faces of its kind.

2.) Chickens have a "pecking order"...Um, duh, pretty much ANY ANIMAL, even humans, have a pecking order....why PETA thinks this is surprising is beyond me.

3.) Chickens have full color vision.

4.) Chickens like sunbaths...so I'm not sure about this one. Chickens like dust baths, but its apparent that PETA hasn't seen chickens on hot days...they stay indoors when it's too hot, and I've never seen one of my birds laying out on a beach towel. I also think it's safe to say that PETA thinks its cruel to keep any animal, I highly doubt it's members are chicken keepers...because PETA doesn't believe that chickens should provide us with eggs.

5.) Chickens must be able to dream (like us) because they experience REM sleep.

6.) Chickens have pain receptors. Yeah...what creature on this planet doesn't? Because I'd like to meet it.

7.) Chickens defend their young....really? Again, what creature doesn't? Besides sharks...

8.) Chickens have more than 30 types of vocalizations.
 
9.) Supposedly, PETA has discovered that mother hens "talk" to their babies while still in their wombs. I guess they asked a hen this and she told them.

10.) Why this last one made a list titled: "10 Surprising Facts About Chickens" I'll never know...here it is...are you all ready? Chickens are cute.

HAHA! Really?! I can't argue with that, but come on! It's not surprising! Bert and Ernie were cute as little Beefy Boys, but that doesn't stop me from eating one!

Again, I want to clarify, I am totally against animal abuse and cruelty. However, I feel a lot of uneducated people, who have never been on a farm, assume they know everything there is about animals, especially livestock. These people have never taken an animal science class or talked with a professional in the field.

It's very scary to know that a lot of the ag world is controlled by people who live in the city and don't what they are talking about.

So that is my rant. I am thankful for the inspiration to write tonight!


                                                                                           ...cluck... cluck... cluck...

P.S. I just had a thought: Let's pretend that we all stopped eating and caging animals. They are able to roam freely all over the world, breeding on their own, grazing on their own, no fences or anything. How do you suppose we will be able to grow enough food to feed this massive population that isn't allowed to eat meat anymore, or even any animal by-product? Do you think it would work?

10 Surprising Facts About Chickens. 7 Feb. 2013. <htpp://www.peta.org>.

No comments:

Post a Comment