Monday, October 22, 2012

Taffy-Apple Bread

CLUCK, CLUCK, CLUCK!!!

I had several requests to share the recipe I referenced in my last post. This yummy bread calls for 6 eggs, so I like to make some when I'm overwhelmed with a large quantity of eggs. If anyone wants to try this recipe and needs eggs, just let me know! I always have some. 15 eggs yesterday alone!

This comes from a cookbook called 500 Treasured Country Recipes. I got the book for $10 at Half-Priced Books.

Technically, the recipe is called Nicki's Taffy-Apple Bread. I hope I document it correctly and avoid plagiarism issues...


Ingredients:

25 to 30 caramels
3 cups flour
1 cup butter, softened
4 cups confectioners sugar
1 tablespoon of vanilla
6 EGGS (from me!)
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 teaspoon allspice
3 to 4 cups of peeled and chopped apples. (About 3 to 4 medium sized apples)

Instructions:

~ Preheat oven to 350. Grease and flour 2 nine by five loaf pans. Unwrap caramels and cut into pieces. Toss with 1 tablespoon of flour so they don't all stick together. Set aside.

~ In a large bowl, beat butter, sugar, and vanilla until fluffy. Add the eggs, mixing well. In another bowl, combine the remaining flour, cinnamon and allspice. Add flour mixture to the butter mixture, blending well.

~ Stir in apples and caramels. Divide batter between the two loaf pans.

~ Bake for 1 hour and 10 minutes to 1 hour and 20 minutes. Or until a toothpick comes out clean.

I was nervous to make this for the first time since I feared the batter would be sticky and a mess to deal with. However, it's not and the bread is AMAZING! Of course it's a heart attack waiting to happen!

Enjoy!

                                                                                                       ...cluck... cluck... cluck...

Storey, Martha. et. al. 500 Treasured Country Recipes Mouthwatering, Time-Honored, Tried & True, Handed-Down, Soul-Satisfying Dishes. Vermont: Storey Communications, Inc. 2000.

1 comment:

  1. Yum! I'm putting this on my list of things to try! The boys love bread and I love caramel...sounds like a perfect match.

    ReplyDelete