Friday, October 12, 2012

"Don't Hit the Chickie!"

CLUCK, CLUCK, CLUCK!!!

SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO SOORRRYYYY for not posting yesterday. October always has been and always will be a crazy month. Mentioned any other time of the year and it is met by a cringe and shudder, and thoughts of pure exhaustion. Getting any kind of sleep/rest at all takes all thought instead of blogging and chickens. My poor birds...I see them maybe twice a day. Once in the morning to let them out and then not until evening to collect eggs and lock them in at night. I'm hardly in my barn right now. This is all due to Jimmy and Charlie's absence, since they are living at mom and dad's until the end of the month. So I blame them...

Anyhoo, "Don't hit the chickie!" is what I screamed to my husband at about 8:00 o'clock this morning. We were driving home from the farm, when we were passing this place in between the farm and our house. This place has a menagerie of animals: horses, cows, ducks and chickens. You really need to watch it when you pass this place since the fowl who live there have no boundaries at all. Most days you pass by and they are milling around in the church parking lot across the street or in the field of the neighboring farmer; and on some occasions, are found laying dead in the road, nothing more than chewed up meat and feathers. It's sad, I know.

Warning: I'm going to pass judgment here. If you have numerous birds getting killed on the road, then keep them in a fence!! It's not rocket science! I say this with anger because why have an animal if you aren't going to take care of it like you should? And why do you come knocking on MY door asking if I sell any of my birds since all of yours are dying?? Yes people, this actually happened. So that is my rant and here is my story:

Dan and I were approaching this morning, driving along our merry way talking about, who knows what. Before we reached this place I could see birds milling around on either side of the road. It all happened in slow motion. I saw a bird in the church parking lot to my right start to make a bee line across the road. Up head, I saw a truck coming towards us from the opposite direction: the chicken's safety window was about a inch wide. As we approached I screamed: "DON'T HIT THE CHICKIE!!!" Leaning forward in my seat and extending my hand. I saw in pure wonder as the chicken lifted itself up and became airborne (i have never seen a chicken fly so high) and pounded its wings with all its might. Thankfully, he crossed safely.

Dan said he would have hit it. I told him how wrong that was since we have chickens and should I remind him of poor Ms. Fluffy Feathers.

The morale of the story is, please fence in your birds when you live a mere feet from the road. Not all drivers care as much as I do.

                                                                                    ...cluck... cluck... cluck...

No comments:

Post a Comment