Thursday, June 28, 2012

I Think It Might Be....!!!!

CLUCK, CLUCK, CLUCK!!!

WELL!!! I think that the 100 degree day may have "sparked" a member of Flock 2 to leave us a girft! That's right, I'm pretty sure I discovered a pullet egg along with 7 other eggs in the nest box this evening!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


You can definately tell the egg in the middle is smaller than the rest. What you cannot see by this picture, and I'm sorry, is that the speckling on it is different than the rest as well. Obvisouly it was eaiser last year to tell the chickens were laying, since no one was until that day in the garage Dan found one tucked behind the snow shovel. At least this year we don't have to go hunting all over the yard to find the bounty!

I was thinking we'd see a membrane egg, as I call it, before anything else...and we still may. It would be more bebeficial if we didn't since a membrane egg is just that: a memebrane. Those are easier to break by accident and if a chicken gets the tatse for egg yolk, they will start to eat eggs...a very bad habit we don't want to have!

I also can't wait until our Araucanas start to lay since those will be blue and green. So this pullet egg is not from an Araucana. I guess tomorrow and the next few days I'll have to go out a peek inside the nest box to see if a newbie is sitting. Last year our firt layer went back the next few days and saty even though she didn't lay another egg for a few days.

Flock 2 is now well over 4 months of age. It was right at 4 months last year that we started to see eggs from Flock 1. Our Golden Coments are known to be early producers...and come to think of it, I just changed out the straw in the nest box last Saturday and I remember seeing a golden feather in it.

I'm just excited! It's been a few months now since we were at maximum egg production and I CAN NOT wait to get back to cranking them out again!

This was last year's first egg (I remember eating it for breakfast):



This is this year's first egg (I'm pretty sure it is):

As always, I am one proud momma!!!!

                                                                                         ...cluck... cluck... cluck...

No comments:

Post a Comment