Sunday, November 27, 2011

Motivational Posters

CLUCK, CLUCK, CLUCK!!

Well, Thanksgiving turkey was excellent! What was also wonderful were the TWO chicken biscuits I ate on Black Friday morning. I've been nice and haven't told the cluckies that. I don't feel as though I need to right now since on Thanksgiving day they laid 15 eggs (which is the record) and I got 15 eggs again today. On the rare days we get less than 10 eggs, I cut them some slack...our girls really do work hard.

But I can't help but want to motivate them. I look at each one as my very own little feathered child. Any caring parent would want their child to excel in everything they do. Even if that job is to only squirt out an egg every day. I can't even count the times mom and dad would stand against the chain-link fence at a track meet screaming my name and making me run faster, even though the lactic acid was building up in my legs and I was sure that at any minute I was going to fall....ok so that happened once or twice.

Anyway, I don't think Foghorn would appreciate me screaming encouraging words all day to his girlfriends.

"Come on girl, PUSH! HEE, HEE, HO...HEE, HEE, HO!!..Breathe, baby! You can do it! PUSH!!!!"

 Plus I don't have that kind of time. But I don't think it would hurt to hang a motivational poster or two in the coop. You know, give them something to think about...remember those posters they hang up in school about doing your best and believing in yourself? When the chickies were younger and still not producing yet, we got eggs from Eli, the Amish guy down the road. His eggs are huge! I held one up for the girls to see in case anyone got any ideas. So I've had this idea for awhile now. Fast forward to a few months later, and I'm flipping through an issue of Small Farmer's Journal, and what I found made me laugh out loud. It's a drawing that says: 

"An egg a day keeps the hatchet away."

I LOVE IT! Even though in all seriousness, I couldn't take a hatchet to any cluckie. (However, they don't know that.) A little reminder and encouraging words never hurt anyone.  Or if that doesn't work, you know what they...a picture is worth a 1,000 words!




                                                                    ...cluck....cluck..cluck...cluck.....

1 comment: