Monday, September 17, 2012

In Remembrance

CLUCK, CLUCK, CLUCK!!!

Sorry I didn't do my regular Sunday post, however, starting now I guess, I will post Mondays from now until the end of October.

Yesterday I had no clue what to write about. Sometimes it's like that and I don't write much; either not much is going on in the chicken world on the Shawhan farm, or life gets crazy busy and/or I'm too exhausted to get creative or into researching something cool about chickens. Usually if I wait a day something will come to mind. This week I was hoping to find a surge of inspiration at the last minute, and I have, but it may still seem a little dull.

I call this post "In Remembrance" because I am dedicating it to Ms. Fluffy Feathers, who was the first to depart from us one year ago this week. I know this, not from my former Facebook post, but because I remember exactly where I was and what I was doing when I received the news that my first beloved chicken had met a violent death.

This is the week of the Farm Science Review. Last year when I went there, I got up before the sunrise and took off with a band of men to walk all day long and look at farm equipment and other machinery. (Since none of that really pertained to me, I made it my mission to find as many free items (pencils, reusable bags, etc.)  that I could!) I looked forward to this day because I called it my "Man Day" since I was going up there with a bunch of men.
Just when we were hitting up a very exclusive, V.I.P., invite only after hours party at the New Holland booth, both Dan and I got text messages from our neighbors.

I think mine read: "Are your chickens OK over there?"

Dan's read: "Becca suffered a causality today."

(Can you tell my message was sent from the emotional sensitivity of a woman? And that Dan's message was from a more direct perspective of a man?)

 Dan knew the true story before I did. Poor Fluffy had wondered across the street...probably to try and get the monster ear of corn that was growing at the edge of the field. Our neighbor, Mike Harp, was even mowing around this gigantic stalk all summer long, almost making it stand out even more and thus appearing even more appealing to an unsuspecting bird. It was also this neighbor, Mike Harp, who took care of the body smashed to smithereens, so didn't have to come home and see it.

The drive home was endless; longer than what it seemed like we took looking over the whole Farm Science Review. I kept thinking maybe there were just a few random feathers about the yard and that all my cluckies were safe and sound. Upon arriving home and seeing what looked to be a whole feather down pillow scattered up and down the street, I knew we had experienced our first tragedy. After that day, the chickens were banned from roaming freely in the yard.

Poor Ms. Fluffy Feathers was a Light Brahma. Everyone likes those because of the feathers that continue down their legs and toes. I think one of the prettiest birds in the flock right now is one of my Light Brahma's, though don't tell Prissy I said that! The bird went through an ugly molt, but once all her feathers came back, she is without question the most attractive bird we have. (She also runs up to you almost every time you walk out to visit because she's always anticipating treats!)

So here's to you Fluffy and all the others we've lost. You are gone but not at all forgotten!

                                                                                       
                                                                                    ...cluck... cluck... cluck...

No comments:

Post a Comment