Sunday, September 9, 2012

Chicken Update

CLUCK, CLUCK, CLUCK!!!

I have some good news and I have some bad news...

The good news is that our little patient is doing quite well. I believe she is over her bout of Coccidiosis and will re-enter the Flock tomorrow morning. She is ready to be done with her confinement and cannot wait to be social again. She tried to escape her temporary home the other day as I was refreshing her water. I figured she must be feeling better. That or she did not want another cavity search.

The bad news is that we lost a chicken last night. I found a dead Aracauna in the steer lot this morning. I'm not sure what the cause of death was. The other morning we found her outside as we were heading out to let the chickens out for the day. Obviously, someone didn't return home the night before. She looked a little worse for wear...sort of like someone who went to a frat house party and was discovered walking home in party messed clothes and reeking of beer and cigarette smoke. I am upset about this, however, if she was not using her head and didn't come home to the safety of the coop, well what can you do? It has already been decided we are getting more chicks this coming spring due to our few losses here and there and because Flock 1 will be getting older.

I'm still disgruntled that I fought to save one but lost anyway....


                                                                                                  ...cluck... cluck... cluck...

No comments:

Post a Comment