Monday, March 10, 2014

Goodbye Winter!!

I think it's funny how this time last week every school, university and business was closed due to snow and ice, and today it's so warm one barely needs to wear a jacket. But then again, it is Ohio we are talking about!

I have always loved Summer, but as I've gotten older I have come to really appreciate Spring as well.
Spring is great for many reasons. We turn the clock up one hour, and though that hour of sleep is always missed (once you have a baby all sleep is precious), it is so worth having the extra daylight. It also signals the end of winter. Yes, we could still have some nasty cold weather, but as each day passes, the threat of Old Man Winter gets weaker and weaker. Now we can venture outside in jeans and a jacket and not the ten extra pounds of winter coats and bibs. Getting around is much easier!

Spring also means Chick Days! Go to any feed store and you'll see boxes of chirping cuteness. This Saturday Dan, Carl and I are planning on bringing home Flock 4!!! I can't wait! Not sure what breed of chickens Flock 4 will be, it all depends on what the store has the day we go...since we don't bother with ordering any. Wes still need to get the brooder in shape for the new arrivals, and I've started saving my newspapers for bedding.

Last Wednesday was Ash Wednesday, and so the beginning of Lent. I really enjoy Lent...I like to reflect on things and really think about ways to improve myself. I gave pop again this year; I'm also trying to focus on writing everyday, even if only in my journal. I figure Lent can be a time to Do things as well as give things up.

Carl and I got outside this afternoon and enjoyed the warmer weather. He sat and delegated me picking up all the sticks and fallen limbs out in the yard. We also visited all the animals and looked over the plants that will be blooming in the near future. We also saw a opossum...which we will have to watch out for since I'm pretty sure they are predators to chickens.

Hmmm maybe he knows we will have chicks soon...

Hope you all get to be outside in during this warm spell! Not long now till it's here to stay!

1 comment: